June 8, 2014, Sunday afternoon -- Reading Nancy Forbes and Basil Mahon

At a cafe on the island of Djurgarden, (in Stockholm, Sweden, where I'm on vacation)
Reading Faraday, Maxwell, and the Electromagnetic Field: How Two Men Revolutionized Physics, by Nancy Forbes and Basil Mahon.  He picked this up at a bookstore because he likes to read about physics.

An author he recommends, if you're interested in philosophy, is Karl Popper. 
While we were talking I told him that one of the reasons I wanted to take his picture was for the beautiful building behind me.  He told me the story behind it.  It's the Nordic museum and it was originally intended to be 3 times as large, but the King of Sweden, who had his more homely looking palace across the bridge, got jealous.  He did not want this building to not only be more beautiful than the palace, but also much larger.  Hence, the building construction was halted. 

0 Comments: